Thursday, April 26, 2007

This one's for you.

OK. Here is my tried and true oatmeal honey bread recipe.

1c warm water
2T butter or margarine
1 1/2 T honey
1 t salt
2 1/4 c bread flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c quick oats
1T yeast

Mix water, yeast and honey. Add remaining ingredients. Kneed on counter until flour becomes incorporated. Put dough back into bowl and cover with a hand towel. Place in oven or microwave with a bowl of hot water on the lower shelf to keep it warm. When dough has doubled in size, kneed again. Divide dough into 2 medium bread pans or shape into 1 braided loaf. Bake in 325 degree oven until crust is golden and the sounds hollow when you tap on it. Optional: usually about 10 minutes before the loaf is done, I'll beat an egg white with a little water in it. Then I'll brush it on the loaf and sprinkle some oats on top of that. This makes the bread's crust shiny, not to mention the fact that it looks nice. Enjoy!!

4 comments:

Steph said...

mwhahaha! I now know the secret! Incidentally, I also fixed my browser so I can post comments. Yay.

I'll have to try this recipe ASAP.

xoxo F

GAO said...

YESSSSS.


























Do you remember when we did this in HS?

Anna said...

Yum, the bread looks so good. I'll have to try it. I have a silly question, though - if you "braid" the dough, do you just cook it on a cookie type sheet?

Em said...

Yup! A regular 'ol cookie sheet will do.

About Me

My photo
Welcome to Em's world. I am a stay at home/ work at home (when the odd job presents itself) mom. I have the privilege to spend every single day with my sweet/crazy 5 yr. old daughter, Mini M. and my little man, Baby W. who was born May 3rd. I can't forget the best part of my life- my hub. C.N., who happens to be the sweetest, funniest fella alive. We have been married almost 6 years. So that's me and my fam.